Kiva Collaboration

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Before break, students applied past experiences and knowledge of the program Pages, and through exploration of new tools and options, created very unique family tress. I hope the printed copies made them home.

Following up on Kiva discussions and loan considerations in class this week, students were introduced to online collaboration through the use of a Google document. This was a great experience as students shared research, thoughts, and feelings in real time, and in some cases across the room from members of their group. As they became more comfortable in this new environment, their engagement progressed resulting in some very thoughtful reasons for considering a borrower:

“I wanted to help Luismel because I would want a loan too if my dream was to become an engineer and I couldn’t because I didn’t have enough money for an education. I also wanted to help someone in a country that I have never been to. I felt really bad for Luismel because he couldn’t accomplish his dream. I hope Luismel will be successful in becoming an engineer.”

“Rose needs an engine for her fishing boat to get food for her and food to sell. She’s 0% funded and needs $200.”

“I would love to help Faiq because he wants his daughter to have the best wedding that she could ever have!! He would like to buy her a dowry for her wedding. He is 32 years old and the father of four children. For a living he sells crops, chicken eggs, dairy products, and animal meat. His daughters wedding will bring money to the family as well as good hope and faith. Also, the money from his daughters wedding will save him from selling all of his dairy and beef cows."